New Delhi [India], Feb. 27 : As expected the 89th Academy Awards started with poking fun at the U.S. President Donald Trump.
The host for the night, Jimmy Kimmel took to the stage and jumped right into the political humour.
"The broadcast is being watched in more than 225 countries that now hate us," he quipped.
Taking some serious jabs at President Trump, the late night host continued, "It's so easy to reach out and heal. I want to say thank you to President Trump. I mean, remember last year when it seemed like the Oscars were racist? That's gone thanks to him."
He closed out with a particularly sassy nod to what happened to Meryl Streep after the Golden Globes.
"We're also here to honour the actors who seem great but actually really arent," Kimmel joked, as the camera panned to Streep. "One in particular has stood the test of time for her many uninspiring and overrated performances. From her mediocre work in Out of Africa to her underwhelming performance in Sophie's Choice, Meryl Streep has phoned it in for her entire lackluster career. This is her 20th nomination, which is amazing because she wasn't even in a movie this year-we just wrote her name down."
Jimmy then directed the crowd to rise to give her an "undeserved" standing ovation, as he joked "Nice dress, by the way, is that an Ivanka?"
On a related note, an unusually tense atmosphere coalesced before the Dolby Theatre ceremony, with protests, rallies and boycotts swirling around this year's Oscars. (ANI)
- Squishiness of human embryo may provide clues about its viability
- Family, Including Ill Father, Removed From Plane As Passengers Applaud Action
- President Obama favors Individual’s Right on Genetic Information
- International Health Officials Prematurely Declared link between Zika and Microcephaly: Report
- Jack & The Green Sprouts in Wisconsin linked to E. coli outbreak