Jaipur, May 9 - Bollywood actor Aamir Khan is to meet Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot Wednesday in connection with female foeticide cases highlighted by the TV reality show "Satyamev Jayate".
"Aamir had expressed his desire to meet the chief minister on May 9. The chief minister has agreed to meet him at his official residence at 5 p. m. today (Wednesday)," said a senior official in the chief minister's office.
Khan in his programme "Satyamev Jayate", aired Sunday, had highlighted the story of a sting operation done seven years back by two Jaipur based journalists to expose increasing female foeticide cases in four states - Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh.
Following the expose, the Rajasthan government had come down heavily on doctors who were involved in sex determination tests and abortions and had started a probe against them. The doctors since then have neither been promoted nor have been cleared of the charges.
Aamir had said in his show that he would appeal to the Rajasthan chief minister to get the cases against the doctors clubbed together and tried in a fast track court. He also appealed the viewers to support his signature campaign.
Gehlot Tuesday tweeted: "Satyamev Jayate is a great and extra ordinary initiative to root out female foeticide. I am eager to have a fruitful dialogue with Aamir on May 9."
Rajasthan has been in the news for increasing cases of female foeticide and female infanticide.
According to Census 2011, Rajasthan has 883 girls between the age of 0-6 for every 1,000 boys. The child sex ratio in 2001 was 909.
Alarmed over the state's skewed sex ratio, the state government recently announced steps to curb pre-natal sex determination tests at ultrasound clinics. (IANS)
- New Zealand players want to test 'pink ball' before day-night Test
- Expert says Pistorius' shooting reenactment footage might result in mistrial
- Sania enters top-5 for first time in her career
- Kapur finishes tied 18th, McDowell wins as Stadler collapses
- Tim Krul defends penalty shootout 'mind games' during Netherlands' WC quarterfinal victory
- Stan Chartered to invest Rs 500-cr in Sterlite Power Grid
- Sensex breaches 26,000-mark; Nifty at record-high of 7,787.95
- Gold price slips below Rs 27,500 level in futures trade
- World's largest shopping mall with theme park to come up in Dubai
- Pink Floyd to release new album'The Endless River' in October
- Hillary Clinton would want Meryl Streep to portray her in film
- Now, 'I MISS W' tees for those who miss George W. Bush
- U.S. tightens airline passenger restrictions in view of anticipated terror threat
- China reportedly shows off next-gen submarine at PLAN
- Apple hires Tag Heuer's sales director for upcoming iWatch